Click on this link-> to read about opening day as reported in the Falkirk Herald
The club was established in September 1875 and on opening day the first bowl was cast by Mr. Mitchell, the club’s president.
Mr George R Ure was the club’s first Treasurer. In the early days the club was often referred to as the “Loanfoot Club”
The club was sited at the west end of the village on the corner of Drove Loan and the Larbert Road, immediately west of Wheatlands.
Originally the 42 yard square green was enclosed with a stone wall on its north, east and west boundaries whilst on the south was a parapet wall which included an ornamental panel railing, a gift from the local foundries, and remains there to this day
The money for the making of the green, which originally cost £400, came from workers subscriptions as well as large contributions from Messrs. George Ure & Co, Messrs. Smith & Wellstood, Mr George Paterson of Thornton and a number of friends belonging to the surrounding villages. In 1913 extensive alterations were made to the walkways and the banks of the green were heightened which much improved the appearance of the green. The club was reopened on the 26th April 1913.
On May 6th 1933 the new Clubhouse was officially opened by Mr Goodwin the President.
In 1974 an improved new clubhouse was built and was officially opened on September 28th 1974 by Mr Robert McIntyre, the oldest serving member of the club. In 1975 they celebrated their centenary. In 1976 the old clubhouse at Drove Loan was demolished which meant the passing of another Bonnybridge landmark. New Dining Lounge opened by Harold McGlashan 20th June 1979
Other clubs that formed in the immediate area were Haggs, in 1889 which thrived until the early 1960’s, The Knowehead Bowling Club 1913-1940 and in 1929 Allendale which is still a thriving club today.RULE BOOK - 1876A copy of this book was donated by Mr J Jamieson
These were adopted at a general meeting held on 5th April 1876.
The office bearers for that year were;
President - James Mitchell; Vice-President - James B Smith; Treasurer - George R Ure; Secretary - Robert Grieve
Directors - James Wilson, James Bain, John McPhie, James Mochrie and Lewis McPhie(Back to Top)
To be continued (with all donations of relevant photo’s gratefully received)